Helpful Links  

Air Force Post Office (APO)
(U.S. Embassy - EOB)

Hours:  Monday-Friday, 0900-1700
Registered Mail Pick Up:  0900-1400

Tel:  02-205-5646

JUSMAG Mailroom Policy

*  *  *
• U.S. Postal Service (USPS) •
USPS  |  First-Class Mail

[Bangkok Bank - Direct Deposit]
Bangkok Bank P.C.L.
Foreign Exchange Services Section
Retail Payment Services Department
333 Silom Rd.
Bangkok 10500 Thailand

Tel:  02-645-5555 (24/7)
Tel:  02-230-1323 (Direct Deposit)

Contact Us
Foreign Customers
Direct Deposit
New York Branch

DMDC Support Office
ATTN:  Change of Address
400 Gigling Rd.
Seaside, CA 93955-6771

Monday-Friday, 0500-1700 (PT)
Tel:  1-800-538-9522
Fax:  1-831-655-8317

DEERS Address Update

Defense Finance Accounting Service
U.S. Military Annuitant Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1300

Monday-Friday, 0700-1930 (ET)
Tel:  1-800-321-1080 or
Fax:  1-800-982-8459

Retired Military & Annuitants
Powers of Attorney & Guardianships

Defense Finance Accounting Service
Cleveland Center
P.O. Box 998005
Cleveland, OH 44199-1126

Tel:  1-800-321-1080 or
Fax:  1-216-522-5898
(For Non-Receipt of Payment)

Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
VA Regional Office, Rm. 1606
1000 Liberty Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Mon-Tues-Thurs-Fri, 0700-1630 (ET) Wednesday, 0730-1130 (ET)
Tel:  1-412-395-6241
Fax:  1-412-395-3085
Disabled American Veterans

•Forms & Publications •

• Forms
DoD  |  DFAS  |  SSA  |  VA  |  GOV

• Publications •
CFRs  |  DoD |  SSA  |  VA

Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

Tel:  1-800-829-1040 (General IRS Info)

Individual Taxpayer Identification

• Legal Assistance •

Locator - Service Personnel
USA  |  USAF  |  USMC  |  USN  |  USCG

• Medicare Part B •

*** Annual General Enrollment ***

If you didn't sign up for Part B (for which you pay monthly premiums) when you were first eligible, you can sign up during General Enrollment:

1 January - 31 March
(Late enrollment penalty may apply)

To Enroll:
Contact Social Security, Manila
Tel:  +63-2-301-2000 Ext. 9
Fax:  +63-2-708-9723

• Miscellaneous Resources •
National Resource Directory

• Department of Defense •  |  Military OneSource

National Personnel Records Center
(Military Personnel Records)
1 Archives Dr.
St. Louis, MO 63138

Tel:  1-314-801-0800 or 1-866-272-6272
Fax:  1-314-801-9195

Status Check:
Military Personnel Records

Naval Ophthalmic Support &
Training Activity (NOSTRA)
160 Main Rd.
Naval Weapons Station, Bldg. 1794
Yorktown, VA 23691-9984

Tel:  1-757-887-7600
Fax:  1-757-887-4647
Retirees - How to Order

Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Operations Center
P.O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017

Tel:  1-888-767-6738
Retirement Information & Services

• Temporary Disability Retirement •
USA  |  USAF  |  USMC  |  USN  |  USCG

Social Security Administration
United States Embassy
1201 Roxas Blvd.
Manila, Philippines 1000
- or -
Social Security Administration
Unit 8600, Box 1610
DPO AP 96515-1610

Tel:  +63-2-301-2000 Ext. 9
Fax:  +63-2-708-9723

*  *  *
• Additional Information •
International Programs
Survivor Benefits

U.S. Embassy, Bangkok
Consular Section
95 Wireless Rd.
Bangkok 10330 Thailand

Tel:  02-205-4049
Fax:  02-205-4103
After Hours Emergency:  02-205-4000
U.S. Citizen Services

U.S. Consulate General, Chiang Mai
Consular Section
387 Wichayanond Rd.
Chiang Mai 50300 Thailand

Tel:  05-310-7777
Fax:  05-325-2633
After Hrs Emergency:  081-881-1878 Email:
U.S. Citizen Services

[Department of] Veterans Affairs
Regional Office
ATTN:  Foreign Team, Room 1514
1000 Liberty Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4004

Tel:  1-412-395-6272
Fax:  1-412-395-6091
Fax:  1-412-395-6184 (Provider DBQs)
Tel:  1-800-827-1000 (General VA)
Veterans Benefits Administration

*  *  *
• Additional Information •
VA Health Administration
GI Bill
Life Insurance
Additional Life Insurance Programs
Mental Health  |  Suicide Prevention
National Center for PTSD
Survivor Benefits

VA Health Administration Center
P.O. Box 469028
Denver, CO 80246-9028

Tel:  1-800-733-8387
Fax:  1-303-331-7809
Click on the link immediately below, then click on “Chat”


VA Health Administration Center
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

Tel:  1-303-331-7590
Fax:  1-303-331-7807
VA Foreign Medical Program

VA Manila Outpatient Clinic
1501 Roxas Blvd.
Pasay City, Philippines 1302

Tel:  +63-2-318-8387 or +63-2-833-4566
Fax:  +63-2-310-5957
VA Manila Outpatient Clinic


*  *  *
Department of Veterans Affairs
Manila Regional Office
1501 Roxas Blvd.
Pasay City, Philippines 1302

Tel:  +63-2-550-3888
Fax:  +63-2-550-3944

Manila VA Regional Office

VAROIC Philadelphia
Pension Management Center
5000 Wissahickon Ave.
P.O. Box 8079
Philadelphia, PA 19101

Monday-Friday, 0800-1630 (ET)
Tel:  1-877-294-6380
Fax:  1-215-381-3113 (Main)
Fax:  1-215-381-3777
(Only for
VA 21-0845)

VA Records Management Center
P.O. Box 5020
St. Louis , MO 63115

Tel:  1-888-533-4558 or 1-888-533-4558
Fax:  1-314-679-3615

VA Records Management Center

• Vital Records •
Thai Amphurs  |  U.S. Vital Records

• Other •
U.S. State & Local Gov't Offices

* Items of Interest *

• Retired Pay Schedule •
DFAS Retired Pay

• Actuary (DoD) •
Office of the Actuary

• Veterans Data (VA) •
National Center for Veterans Analysis & Statistics

• Credit Bureaus •
Equifax  |  Experian  |  TransUnion

• Cremation & Repatriation of Ashes •
Teck Hong
Siam Funeral
John Allison Monkhouse

• HIV / AIDS - Anonynous Clinic •
Thai Red Cross Anonymous Clinic
1871 Rama 4 Rd.
Bangkok 10330 Thailand

Tel:  02-256-4109
Fax:  02-254-7577

Anonymous Clinic

• The Red Cross •
American  |  Thailand

House of Representatives
Veterans' Affairs Committee

• U.S. Gov't - Official Web Portal •
U.S. Military Personnel & Veterans

• Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) •

Ban Chang
National  |  Pacific  |  District Five
Bangkok  |  Cambodia
 |  Chiang Mai
Korat  |  Pattaya  |  Udon Thani

* American Legion *

American Legion Post TH01 Ubonratchathani or email them at


Retiree Activities Office (RAO)
Bangkok, Thailand

Hours of Service
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
(Closed Thai & U.S. Holidays)

Our Mission: To provide assistance to U.S. Military Retirees, service members in Thailand about to retire, and eligible family members of the above.  This service includes maintaining this website with useful links to information and listing offices that can assist you in areas beyond our charter. This RAO is an official U.S. Air Force activity staffed by a small group of retired U.S. military volunteers. We welcome your emails and can assist you and eligible family members on a walk-in basis. We also maintain an RAO Newsletter (below) with useful information updates.

How to use this website: The most important thing to know is that depending upon the web browser you use, some of the links on this website only work if you paste them into your web browser. So, if the link doesn't work, copy and paste into your browser. If it still doesn't work, email us please. Our goal for this website is to provide information for the most commonly asked retiree questions. We are not the subject matter experts for most areas, we provide you links to the offices and agencies who are knowledgeable. We are happy to answer your questions, but ask that you first familiarize yourself with this website, read each section, as it contains useful information. Please note the final section at the bottom of this page whch lists activities we are unable to perform, as they are prohibited.

RAO Director:  Tom Friend, MSG USA (Ret)
Tel:  +66-02-287-1036 Ext. 165
Fax:  +66-02-285-6228

Office Email:

Follow RAO on Facebook:

Physical Address
APO Address
Retiree Activities Office (RAO)
7 Sathorn Tai Rd.
APO AP 96546-9998
Bangkok 10120 Thailand  
Turn LEFT after entering the front gate. We are in building "D", Room D-114, to the right of the dental office



Update *RAO Informational Updates* Update

An uncomfortable subject, but necessary one. What should we do to prepare for our eventual passing? The U.S. Embassy has information located here.

APO Closure - According to a memo from the commander, PACAF AIRPS dated 26 Feb 19, our JUSMAGTHAI APO service will cease on 1 October 2019. You may submit a forwarding address to the Post Office here - for forwarding to a U.S. Postal address ONLY, not Thai - effective for 12 months. We have no further information. If you would like a copy of the memo, please send us an email. TRICARE OVERSEAS reimbursement for out-of-pocket purchased meds is available, see the local TRICARE office or the TRICARE OVERSEAS website for additional info.

If you are still receiving hard-copy checks from DFAS, recommend you change to Direct Deposit, an action DFAS will eventually require.

SPACE-A flights out of - but not into - Clark PI are temporarily suspended due to a base access issue. See here for the detail.

Social Security Manila has new walk in, appointment, and phone hours. See Social Security section below.

VA has just launched a complete redesign of its website regarding Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD) information.

Latest Veteran Scams! Be aware.

- Agent Orange and Navy Bluewater veterans

- Commonly requested handouts at U.S. Embassy. Good info!!!

- Preparing for a VA Disability Benefits Exam? "Tips for getting the most from your Veterans Administration requested disability benefits exam," authored by a medical doctor who conducts these exams. Highly recommended read!!!!! - U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) advice on Flu shots and NIH info on heading off dangerous drug interactions

- VA's Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry allows eligible Veterans and Servicemembers to document their exposures and report health concerns through an online questionnaire.

Eligible Veterans and Servicemembers include those who served in: Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation New Dawn; Djibouti, Africa on or after September 11, 2001; Operations Desert Shield or Desert Storm; Southwest Asia theater of operations on or after August 2, 1990

RAO Matters Archives

2018: Jun; July; Aug; Sep

* Official Retiree Newsletters *

Army Echoes, Air Force Afterburner, Navy Shiftcolors, Marine Semper Fidelis, Coast Guard (click to subscribe)

• DEERS & DoD Military ID Cards •

We do not issue ID cards or handle DEERS issues, below is the DEERs contact information
• JUSMAGTHAI - Joint Support Section •
Location:  Bldg. "C", Room C-105
Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO)
DEERS Hours:  Tues-Wed-Thurs, 0800-1100 Hours
400 Gigling Rd.
(Appointments Not Accepted)
Seaside, CA 93955-6771
Tel:  1-800-538-9522
Telephone:  02-287-1036 Ext. 180 / 181
Fax:  1-831-655-8317
(Note:  These Ext. #s are Not Voicemail Capable)
*** Closed U.S. & Thai Holidays ***

1.  Department of Defense ID Card Issuance Process.   The DoD ID card issuance process consists of several steps to ensure the correct ID card is issued and the appropriate benefits and privileges are assigned.  An important step is the verification of a customer's identity by reviewing the two required forms of identification and their information in the Defense Enrollment and Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).  When you report to a DoD ID Card issuing facility, the card issuer, titled a Verifying Official (VO), will ask the customer to present an existing DoD ID card, if available, as well as other identity documentation as an added layer of security. 

2.  Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).  DEERS Record Updates and DoD Military ID Cards.  Although JUSMAGTHAI is an authorized DEERS/RAPIDS site, JUSMAGTHAI is not authorized to “set aside” any ID cards for personnel who may be traveling here, and are not authorized to access the system outside the hours established with DEERS/RAPIDS.      

a.  DEERS Location.  The DEERS / DoD Military ID Card Station is located in room C-105.  Turn right after entering the main gate, walk under the building overhang, turn left at the blue color U.S. mailbox, then keep straight ahead until end (back of compound), go left and room C-105 will be on your right hand side.

b.  DEERS Availability.  Since the DEERS system sometimes unexpectedly goes offline it is best to phone ahead to 02-287-1036 Ext. 180 or 181 before you travel to JUSMAG.  Likewise, due to system irregularities it's best to give yourself two days in Bangkok (should the system be down).  Sometimes the systemis slow to connect with DEERS/RAPIDS so please allow 30-60 minutes for processing.  When it is known DEERS system at JUSMAG will be unavailable for more than a two days, contact the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) (DEERS) in California (info above) with your questions concerning DEERS record updates, such as registering new dependents in DEERS.  Also see the TRICARE Overseas section (paragraph 16c) on this webpage concerning TRICARE claims filing for a new dependent not yet registered in DEERS.  If your call goes unsanswered, try again, as their primary duties often take them from their desk.

c.  DoD Military ID Card Basics.  Retiree DoD ID cards (blue color DD-2) issued before December 1, 2012 do not expire. However, Retiree ID cards issued after November 30, 2012 do have an expiration date on the front of the card (please see paragraph 5 below).  Dependent DoD ID cards may be renewed up to 30 days prior to the card's expiration (sponsor normally must accompany their spouse when renewing the dependent spouse's tan color DD-1173).  Note:  If you recently enrolled in Medicare Part B, ensure Part B is reflected in your DEERS record before you renew your ID card (automatic weapons can fail--so too can Medicare’s action to notify the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) (DEERS) of the beneficiary’s Part B enrollment).  Bring your current DoD ID card and two additional photo IDs, and any documentation (original or certified copy, not a photocopy) pertinent to your visit.  ReadDocuments Required for Issuance of DoD ID Cards (and read the paragraphs below).  All foreign language documents require certified English translation (no exceptions).  Note:  Photos are taken digitally, don't bring a photo.       

d.  Sponsors Must Accompany Their Dependents.  Dependents requesting a service from the JUSMAGTHAI DEERS section, such as renewing a DoD ID card and TRICARE eligibility inquiries, must be accompanied by their [still living] military sponsor.  Dependents requesting a service without their military sponsor present will be advised to return with their military sponsor.  This applies only to dependents with sponsors that are still living.  Sponsors wishing to update/renew/first issue a Dependent ID Card are required to be with their Dependent at the time of issue.  The sponsor will need to bring one additional government-issued photo ID in addition to their DoD military ID.        

e.  TRICARE Eligibility Inquiries.  *** MUST BE MADE IN-PERSON ***  Requests for TRICARE eligibility verification via email, phone, fax, or mail to the JUSMAGTHAI DEERS section, cannot be honored.  This policy is part of DoD's overall fraud prevention efforts.  To verify your TRICARE eligibility you may also do so online via milConnect, TRICARE Overseas, or by Phone, Fax or Mail to the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) (DEERS) in California.  (Please also see paragraph 5b below).

3.  The Two Most Frequently Asked DEERS Questions Are     

a.  "What do I need to bring to renew my DoD ID card?"  For U.S. Uniformed Services ID card renewals, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) directives require two pieces of government-issued identification:  Documents Required for Issuance of DoD ID Cards.  First, to renew a DoD ID card you must bring your current (NON-EXPIRED) DoD ID card.  In addition to your DoD ID card, bring two non-expired forms of government-issued photo ID.  Passport and drivers license are acceptable, however JUSMAGTHAI DEERS personnel cannot use the CAC card, Retiree ID card, or Dependent ID card as one of the two forms of ID that need to be scanned into DEERS/RAPIDS--the two forms of ID must have a picture and must be current, not expired. These rules apply to U.S. citizens and foreign nationals.  If you no longer have your current DoD ID card you must also obtain a police report before a replacement DoD ID card can be issued--foreign language police reports require certified English translation (no exceptions).      

b.  "I just got married so what do we need to bring to get my spouse a DoD ID card?"  First-time dependents will need the original marriage certificate, and if the marriage certificate is not in English, a certified English translation copy with original stamps from the company that did the translation--photocopies of the translation will not suffice; it must have the original certifier's stamp.  Your (the sponsor's) current, non-expired DoD ID card and one additional sponsor current, non-expired government-issued photo ID.  Your new spouse must also bring two pieces of non-expired government-issued photo ID (Thai, U.S., or other nation).  In addition, original (or certified copy) Final Divorce Decree(s) (sponsor and/or spouse; as applicable).  Foreign language documents require certified English translation (no exceptions).           

 • Important Note:  Marriage certificates, divorce decrees, and birth certificates must be certified originals, court-certified copies, or certified photocopies that reflect the file number.  Verifying officials may request additional documents if validity of documents provided is in question.  (AFI 36-3026_IP, Volume 1; Ch. 2, para. 2.4.1, p. 48).

4.  Age 65 Renewal of Retiree DoD ID Card (or earlier if End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), or SSA-disabled).  This subject historically has been ambiguous. Bottom line:  Retiree ID cards (blue color DD-2) issued before December 1, 2012 do not expire, they are *INDEF* (Indefinite), however, the information listed on the back of the DD-2 concerning TRICARE eligibility, contains an expiration date--which normally is the last day of the month prior to the retiree's (or dependent's) 65th birthday.  UPDATE:  Retiree ID cards issued after November 30, 2012 do have an expiration date on the front of the card and require replacement. 

a.  Age 65 is when most military retirees (and their dependents) first become eligible for premium-free Medicare Part A, and as a result, must enroll in Medicare Part B if they wish to remain TRICARE eligible (TRICARE For Life (TFL)).  Therefore, when retirees enroll in Medicare Part B, they may or may not be required to renew their DoD ID card--if the card was issued before December 1, 2012 it is not required to be renewed.  However, if the retiree DoD ID card was issued after November 30, 2012 a replacement card will be needed.  Concerning retiree DoD ID cards issued before December 1, 2012 it may be in your best interest to renew your retiree DD-2 after you enroll in Medicare Part B and after Part B is reflected in your DEERS record.  For instance, some Military Treatment Facilities have reportedly confiscated retiree ID cards that have not been renewed to show TFL eligibility--they do this as a means to force you to renew your DD-2.      

b.  When the member enrolls in Medicare Part B, Medicare typcially notifies DSO (DEERS) that Part B has been obtained.  Therefore, a retiree DoD ID card issued before December 1, 2012 does not have to be renewed simply because of this date, but may be renewed if the member desires.  Other Consideration: Concerning the ongoing removal of social security numbers from DoD ID cards through attrition, you may wish to use your enrollment in Medicare Part B as a valid reason to renew your retiree DD-2.  Lastly, to verify that DSO (DEERS) has received your Medicare Part B enrollment, you can check milConnect, TRICARE Overseas, or by Phone, Fax or Mail to DSO (DEERS) in California (a few weeks after the first day of your birth month), or visit the nearest DoD ID card issuing facility. (JUSMAGTHAI is the only facility in Thailand).

5.  *** Keep Your DEERS Records Up To Date! ***  Life events such as moving, marriage, divorce, death, or simply having a child go off to college are milestones in family lives that require DEERS updates.  Keeping your DEERS records current assures uninterrupted receipt of your retirement pay, access to the TRICARE health system, and it also assures that important TRICARE-related health care documents are delivered to the sponsor and their family members at the correct address and on time.  Mistakes and outdated information in DEERS has caused pay problems, and caused delay and denial of TRICARE claims. For simple address changes, you can update your DEERS address via several methods:  In-person at JUSMAGTHAI; Online at DEERS Address Update        

*** Important Note ***  Updating your DEERS record does not update your information with DFAS, and updating your information with DFAS does not update your DEERS record--you must separately update your DEERS and DFAS records. Retirees can also change bank and mailing addresses in myPay.

6. Honorably “Discharged” Veterans Rated 100-Percent Disabled by the DVA (Ch. 24, para. 24.2, p. 181).  Honorably discharged veterans who are not entitled to retired pay, and rated 100-percent disabled from a Uniformed Service-connected injury or disease are entitled to a DD Form 2765 with eligibility to commissary, exchange and MWR privileges ONLY.  See the above reference, and see Sample Letter (Attachment 21, p. 313).

• TRICARE Office •

7.  JUSMAGTHAI TRICARE.  The JUSMAGTHAI TRICARE office is not chartered or funded to assist the retiree community, and does so strictly as a courtesy, duties permitting, and only when TRICARE Overseas (International SOS, Singapore) is unable to answer your query.  If International SOS is unable to directly answer your pertinent TRICARE questions, JUSMAGTHAI TRICARE will assist you.

• Notary Stamp •

8.  Notary Stamp.  The JUSMAGTHAI Adjutant currently provides a no-fee Notary Stamp service (duties permitting). The notary stamp is not a seal is derived from U.S. Army authority that may or may not be accepted outside of the Department of Defense, particularly if those documents are used in legal proceedings. Determination of acceptance rests solely with the entity requesting notarization.  Further, if your document requires the presence of witnesses in addition to notarization, you must supply those witnesses.  Also, do not sign any documents until instructed to do so by the Adjutant.  Lastly, the Adjutant doesn't notarize income affidavits--you must visit the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate General after completing notarized income affidavit and sign in front of an embassy official.  If you desire notarization for other than an income affidavit, please first visit the JUSMAG Joint Support section personnel that issue DoD ID cards--and tell them the purpose of your visit.  They will direct you to the correct office.  Remember, JUSMAG provides this service strictly as a courtesy.       

Note:  U.S. Citizen Services (ACS), U.S. Embassy, Bangkok and U.S. Consulate, Chiang Mai, provide a fee-based Notary Service ($50 per embossed seal).  U.S. Embassy:  Notary Services.

• Mailroom & APO •

• JUSMAGTHAI - Mailroom •
• Air Force Post Office (APO) •
Location:  Bldg. "C", Room C-109
Location:  Old U.S. Embassy Compound (aka *EOB*)
Hours:  Monday-Friday, 1030-1200 & 1300-1600
Hours:  Monday-Friday, 0900-1700 Hours
(May Phone After 1300 Hours - Ext. 168)
Registered Mail Pick Up:  Monday-Friday, 0900-1400 Hours
Pick Up Mail at Least Once Every 30 Days
Telephone:  02-205-5646
Keep Your Locator Information Up-to-Date
*** Closed U.S. & Thai Holidays ***
*** Closed U.S. & Thai Holidays ***

• Department of Defense (DoD) Policy •

DoD Postal Manual (Appendix 1, AP1.3.14. Service for Retired Military Personnel (p. 342))

*** Important Notice ***
• Non-retiree veterans (not retired for longevity or medically retired) are not authorized APO/FPO privileges •

The JUSMAGTHAI Mailroom is open to U.S. Military Retirees, Gray-Area Retirees at age 60, and eligible un-remarried surviving spouses who have a *Box-R* APO box at JUSMAG.  If you do not have a Box-R at JUSMAG you may still use the APO (see paragraph 9 below).  To sign up for a *Box-R* mail box, U.S. military retirees must have and show in-person a valid blue color *Retired* DoD ID card (DD-2) and complete a locator card.  Eligible un-remarried surviving spouses of military retirees must have and show a valid tan color DoD ID card (DD-1173).  Military retiree APO privileges are limited to personal / private use ONLY, and DO NOT include any type of work, business, or other commercial-related use.  APO privileges for U.S. military retirees are strictly a privilege, not a right.      

Minimal Services. The JUSMAGTHAI Mailroom does not sell U.S. (or Thai) postage stamps (and neither does the RAO).  U.S. postage stamps are available for purchase at the APO (*EOB* compound on Wireless Rd.). You can also buy online from U.S. Postal Service. For registered mail pick up, visit the APO before 1400 hours.  Please see APO information in paragraph 8 below.      

• GI Bill •

9. The VA recognizes many Thai institutions of higher learning for the GI Bill, meaning you can use your Montgomery or Post 9-11 GI Bill at these institutions. Frequently, often only certain departments within institutions accept the GI Bill. To check which institutions and departments worldwide within that institution accept the GI Bill, go to the GI Bill WEAMS website and click on the button "to search by country, click here." Remember that to use the GI Bill, you must have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from VA. If you do not have one, you can apply at Veterans Online Application Site.

• No Staff Judge Advocate •

10.  Staff Judge Advocate (SJA).  JUSMAG does not have an SJA on staff, and hence, is unable to help prepare a Power of Attorney (paragraph 5, next section), Living Will, or a Last Will & Testament.  You may consult an attorney or visit one of several online *free legal forms* websites and have your document(s) notarized (seal) at the U.S. Embassy / U.S. Consulate General, or chance using a JUSMAG Army-derived Notary Stamp.  U.S. Embassy:  Attorney List  |  U.S. Consulate:Attorney List.

• No Commissary, No BX / PX / NEX, No MWR, No Military Lodging •

11.  The nearest facilities are in Singapore

• No Space-A Flights •

12.  Space-A.   The nearest Space-A is in Singapore although Clark Air Base in the Philippines is beginning to get more SPACE-A.  THERE IS A CURRENT PROHIBITION ON FLYING OUT FROM CLARK ON SPACE-A DUE TO BASE RESTRICTIONS. Visit our Space-A section below for more information on the Singapore hub, for the Clark Space-A and the current problem click here.

• More Services •

13.  More Services & Hours of Operation:

  • Aderholt's Annex.  Monday-Friday, 1530-2230.  Drinks, bar food, dart boards, pool tables, TV.  (Rm. A-104, Ext. 151).
  • Barbershop.  Monday-Friday, 0730-1530.  A good haircut at a reasonable price!  (Rm. C-128, Ext. 169).
    Cafeteria.  Monday-Friday, 0600-1500 (Breakfast Served 0600-1100).  Kitchen Closes 1400.  (Rm. B-120, Ext. 150).
  • Dental Services.  Monday & Wednesday, 0700-1600 + Tuesday & Thursday, 0700-1100.  Friday, closed. JUSMAGTHAI has one of the best Dental Clinics in Thailand.  They can schedule Regular Check-ups, Cleanings, Fillings, Crown and Bridge work, or a Root Canal.  Payment at time of service THB or USD, cash or check only is required for Retirees, Gray-Area Retirees, DAVPRM, DAVTMP, and their eligible dependents, or eligible survivors.  Pricing is comparable with local professional dental services.  For more information on available services and/or to make an appointment, please Email:, or Telephone:  02-205-4134.  (Rm. D-110).
  • Fitness Center.  Monday-Friday, 0500-2100 (Rm. G-104).
  • Tailor (Amrapur Tailors).  Monday-Friday, 1000-1700 & Saturday, 1000-1400.  If you're looking for a Tailor, JUSMAGTHAI has specialists in U.S. Forces Uniforms (customer-supplied material), Pure Blended Cashmere, Lambs Wool, Terylene Sharkskin, Herring Bone, Mohair and Silk Hong Kong Brocade Beaded Sweaters, etc.  Email Amrapur Tailors: or  |  Cell:  081-343-3930 or 089-456-7251 (from outside Thailand dial:  +66-8x-xxx-xxxx).  (Rm. C-127).
• Benefits & Entitlements at a Glance •

• Benefits Discussion •

1. RAO staff invites U.S. military retirees to visit the RAO for an initial (or refresher) benefits and privileges discussion.  If you have recently retired, newly arrived to Thailand, or never visited the RAO for a benefits discussion, a visit to the RAO may yield useful information to you, and your loved ones. Note:  Discussing Survivor Benefits requires discussing any/all current and previous marriages; therefore, you may wish to plan your visit accordingly (e.g., accompanied or unaccompanied).

• U.S. Military Service Record Request •

2.  Veterans’ Military Service Record Request Military personnel records can be used for proving military service, or as a valuable tool in genealogical research.  Most veterans and their next-of-Kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 (Report of Separation), and other military and medical records.  Veterans' Medical and Health Records. To replace your awards and decorations go here.

• Correction of U.S. Military Service Records •

3.  Correcting Military Service Records.  The National Archives only stores Military Service Records – they cannot make changes or corrections to these records or to your discharge status.  You will need to apply to the review board for your respective service branch for corrections or changes:  DoD   |  DFAS USA  |  USAF  |  USN  |  USMC  |  USCG.

• Power of Attorney •

4.  Power of Attorney (POA).  A Power of Attorney (Specific or General) allows you to designate someone to take legal action on your behalf.  For Example:  If you are already experiencing medical distress, establishing a *Specific POA* (or even Guardianship) now before you are physically or mentally incapacitated can help ensure your benefits continue uninterrupted should your medical condition worsens.  Blank Power of Attorney forms are available online from the U.S. Embassy here, or U.S. Consulate General here.  Or, you may use one supplied to you by your attorney, bank, or company, or visit one of several online *free legal forms* websites and have your document(s) notarized (seal) at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate, or the JUSMAG Army-derived Notary Stamp (paragraph 12, previous section).  Remember, do not sign a POA until instructed to do so by the Notary.  U.S. Embassy:  Notary Services  |  U.S. Consulate General:  Notary Services.  (Note: JUSMAG does not have a Staff Judge Advocate on staff, and hence, is unable to assist with preparing a Power of Attorney). - Know the difference between a Will and a Power of Attorney? Why one over the other?

• Beneficiary Pay •

5.  Beneficiary Pay.  Be it retired pay from DFAS, SSA retirement benefits, VA disability compensation, survivor benefits, etc., if your pay stops, contact your bank (direct deposit) and/or source agency immediately.  Government and private agencies want to be contacted by the beneficiary. Directly contacting the agency results in far swifter resolution, often immediate.        

Pay suspension can occur for numerous reasons: 

1) Retired Pay - Sponsors not updating their DFAS record in decades;

2) Not returning on time (or at all) an annual (or other) certification form (different benefits name it differently);

3) Correspondence being returned as undeliverable (DFAS, OPM, SSA, and VA), and;

4) SBP - Expired dependent DoD ID card (an expired ID card also negatively effects family members' TRICARE eligibility).  Once your pay stops expect a minimum of three months for it to restart--we've seen it take nine and ten months, respectively, for two beneficiaries. 

Sometimes beneficiaries need additional assistance if pay is suspended.   For Example:  When DFAS has doubts about your existence, DFAS sometimes will request an official letter attesting to your identity and status.  We have that letter in the RAO--in addition to your existing DoD ID card you will have to show us two (2) current (non-expired) pieces of U.S. and/or Thai Government-issued Photo Identification. Remember, updating your DEERS record does not update your pay record at DFAS, and updating your DFAS record does not update your record in DEERS--you must separately update your DEERS and DFAS records.


• Defense Finance & Accounting Service •

• Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS) •
Tel:  1-800-321-1080 or 1-216-522-5955
U.S. Military Retirement Pay
Fax:  1-800-469-6559
8899 E 56th Street
Email:  Ask DFAS

Indianapolis IN 46249-1200


6.  Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS) (Retirement & Annuitant).  Updating your personal data in DEERS does not update your pay record at DFAS, and updating your DFAS record does not update your record in DEERS--you must update your DFAS and DEERS records separately.  It's solely your responsibility to keep your personal data current. Retirees can also change bank and mailing addresses by using myPay.  (DFAS Forms).

      a. DFAS' online pay account management system MyPay that provides paycheck and tax information for military members, retirees, annuitants, and numerous federal civilian employees.  It is the most convenient way to manage your retirement account.  In addition to viewing and printing documents (RAS, CRSC Statement, 1099R), retirees can also:

  • Make address changes. Start or change direct deposit. Manage certain (but not all) allotments.
    Change tax withholding deductions.
  • Stop or start hard-copy mailings of RAS, CRSC, and 1099R forms.

        b.  Arrears of Pay (AOP) Beneficiary and Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) are discussed under *Survivor Benefits* here.

• Department of Defense •

7. MilConnect is a website provided by the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) (DMDC manages DEERS) that allows sponsors, spouses, and their children (18 years and older) to access information regarding their personal information, health care eligibility, personnel records, and other information from a centralized location.

• Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program •

8.  Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program.  The Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program provides long term care insurance to help pay for costs of care when enrollees need help with activities they perform every day, or you have a severe cognitive impairment, such as Alzheimer's disease.  Federal and Postal employees and annuitants, active and retired members of the uniformed services, and qualified relatives can apply for this insurance.  Certain medical conditions, or combinations of conditions, will prevent some people from being approved for coverage.  You must apply to determine enrollment eligibility.  Also Visit:

• NOSTRA (Eyeglasses) •

9.  NOSTRA - If you are retired military and eligible for other medical services, you are authorized to receive a limited quantity of standard issue spectacles per year (click on header).  Email:

• Social Security Administration •

• Social Security Administration - Manila •
Tel:  +63-2-301-2000 Ext. 9
Social Security Administration
Fax:  +63-2-708-9723
United States Embassy
1201 Roxas Blvd.
Manila, Philippines 1000

10.  Social Security Administration - U.S. Embassy, Manila.  SSA Manila prefers that benefits applicants contact them directly instead of contacting the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. Their new hours per their American Citizen Services email November 15, 2018: In-office appts. and walk-in services 0800-1200 M-F, except for Philippine and U.S. holidays. Telephone hours are 0800-1100 T-TH, except for Philippine and U.S. holidays.

a.  Telephone Interviews. SSA prefers to conduct telephone interviews with applicants; therefore, SSA will phone you from their Manila office when you provide your telephone number.  Note:  If you ever receive an unsolicited phone call or email purporting to be from a government agency or commercial business (i.e., you didn't initiate contact with them), beware of a possible *phishing* attempt.

 b.  Certified Documents.  SSA requires that all supporting documents be certified (no cost at ACS when documents are used to apply for U.S. Federal benefits), and must be sent by ACS to SSA--in order to maintain document integrity.

11.  Updating Your Address with SSA.  If you are receiving SSA benefits and are residing outside of the U.S. for more than six months, you should update your address with SSA.  Your benefits will be suspended if your address is not updated.  If you are updating your U.S. address to an address in Thailand, you will need to fill out Form SSA-21 and submit it to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  If you are updating an address within Thailand, contact SSA Manila directly. 

12.  I received Form SSA-7162 in the mailWhat is it for?  What should I do with Form SSA-7162?  The Social Security Administration periodically sends Form SSA-7162 to a beneficiary living outside the United States to determine if the beneficiary is still eligible to receive benefits.  When you receive this form, you should answer the questionnaire and return it to the office that sent it as soon as possible.  The form will include instructions and provide the address where you need to return the form.  Generally, a self-addressed envelope is enclosed too.  All you need to do is affix postage and mail it.  If you do not return this form in a timely manner, your payments will stop.        

* In addition to responding to the questionnaire, you should notify Social Security promptly about changes that could affect your payments.  If you fail to report something or deliberately make a false statement, you could be penalized by a fine or imprisonment. You also may lose some of your payments if you do not report changes promptly.  It is important that you report any change of address to the Social Security Administration to ensure you receive this questionnaire and other important notices from SSA.  FBU can help you report a change of address to SSA.  If your benefits are suspended because SSA did not receive your completed Form SSA-7162, FBU can help you restore your benefits.

13. Social Security Retirements Benefits. Taxes are deducted at source (Green Card holders please see the IRS section on this page here).  Information You'll Need When You Apply for Retirement Benefits or Medicare.  Also Visit Military Service and Social Security.        

- Apply for SSA Benefits.  You may apply online (or contact SSA Manila).  If you feel you need additional assistance with the application process, you may visit U.S. Citizen Services (ACS) at the U.S. Embassy (Bangkok), or U.S. Consulate General (Chiang Mai).  ACS also "certifies" at no cost, supporting personal documentation that may be required by SSA (or VA) to adjudicate your claim.  Lastly, "Legalization" (known as "Authentication" in the U.S.) of Thai documents is presently not required.  Also Visit:  Your Payments While You Are Outside the U.S.          

- Which Family Members Qualify for Benefits?  When you start receiving Social Security retirement benefits, some members of your family may also qualify to receive benefits on your record.  If they qualify, your spouse or child may receive a monthly payment of up to one-half of your full retirement benefit amount.  These payments will not decrease your retirement benefit.  In fact, the value of the benefits your family may receive, added to your own, may help you decide if taking your benefits sooner may be more advantageous.  NoteResidency Requirements apply--also be advised: "...children adopted outside the United States will not be paid outside the United States, even if the residency requirement is met."  (RAO Note:  If in doubt, contact SSA Manila directly).

Social Security Survivor Benefits.  U.S. Citizen children may be taxed.  Adult single U.S. Citizens are partially taxed if earning over $25K/Year.  Thai Citizens (non-resident aliens) who are eligible to be paid in Thailand (residency requirements) are taxed at 30% of 85% of your benefit--an effective tax rate of 25.5%.  The 25.5% tax is a flat tax--it is not withholding, and is non-refundable.  SSA benefit amount prior to the tax reduction is the amount that offsets the VA's Survivors Pension (SP) (paragraph 10 below).  If the SSA net amount paid to a Thai citizen residing in Thailand is less than the VA SP amount, do not apply.  Moreover, the U.S. does not have a Social Security agreement with Thailand, and the Thai-U.S. Tax Treaty specifically excludes U.S. Social Security benefits.        

- If you are not a U.S. citizen (child or adult), you must have lived in the United States for at least five years.   During those five years, the family relationship on which benefits are based must have existed.  The residency requirement will not apply to you if you meet any of the following conditions:  1) You were initially eligible for monthly benefits before January 1, 1985, or; 2) You are entitled on the record of a worker who died while in the U.S. military service or as a result of a service-connected disease or injury.  Source:         

- Your unmarried children who are under 18 (up to age 19 if attending elementary or secondary school full time) can be eligible to receive Social Security benefits when you die.  NoteResidency requirements apply--also be advised: "...children adopted outside the United States will not be paid outside the United States, even if the residency requirement is met."  (RAO Note:  If in doubt, contact SSA Manila to discuss your case specifics).         

- Death. When a Social Security beneficiary dies, a benefit is not payable for the month of death.  For example, if a beneficiary died any time in June, the payment dated July (which is payment for June) should be returned to sender.

14.  Social Security Disability Benefits For Wounded Warriors.  You may apply for disability benefits at any time while in military status or after discharge.  Many disabled veterans and wounded warriors may qualify for Social Security disability benefits, in addition to their Veterans Affairs benefits. For information go to Military service members can receive expedited processing of disability claims from Social Security.  Benefits available through Social Security are different than those from the Department of Veterans Affairs and require a separate application.  The expedited process is used for military service members who become disabled while on active military service on or after October 1, 2001, regardless of where the disability occurs.  In order to receive SSA disability benefits, a claimant cannot engage in substantial work activity for pay or profit, also known as substantial gainful activity.  Active duty status and receipt of military pay does not, in itself, necessarily prevent payment of disability benefits. Receipt of military payments should not stop military personnel from applying for disability benefits from Social Security.  If a service member is receiving treatment at a military medical facility and working in a designated therapy program or on limited duty, SSA will evaluate the work activity to determine eligibility for benefits.  The actual work activity is the controlling factor and not the amount of pay received or the person’s military duty status.

• Department of Veterans Affairs •

1.  VA - General InfoContact VA:  VA prefers internet-using veterans residing overseas to use IRIS (instead of phoning). VA has an OCONUS page for additional info for Vets overseas.

• VA Benefits - General Info •
• VA Regional Office - Pittsburgh •
Veterans Affairs Regional Office
ATTN:  Foreign Team, Room 1514
1000 Liberty Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4004
Tel:  1-412-395-6272
Fax:  1-412-395-6091 or 6057
Tel:  1-800-827-1000 (VA General Contact)
Email:  IRIS
Appointment of Representative:  Individual  |  VSO

2. VA Education Benefits.  Various education benefits are administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

3. VA Home Loan Information.

•VA Benefits - Education •
Education (GI Bill):  1-888-442-4551
Contact Us (GI Bill)

• Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) - *Disability* •

*** Important Notes ***

  1.  No VA Medical Facility or Military Treatment Facility in Thailand.
  2.  100% Payment up front (out-of-pocket) is normally required for
FMP medical services.
  3.  Disability percentages have no bearing on determining eligibility for FMP medical services.

  4.  Manila Outpatient Clinic serves service-connected veterans residing or sojourning in the PI.
Veterans Can Now Schedule Appointments Online with Smartphones (at some VA facilities, the website has the list)


• VA Compensation (Disability) •
• VA Regional Office - Pittsburgh •
Veterans Affairs Regional Office
ATTN:  Foreign Team, Room 1514
Active Duty/Full-Time Nat'l Guard:  Pre-Discharge Programs
1000 Liberty Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4004
Tel:  1-412-395-6272
Fax:  1-412-395-6091 or 6057
Fax:  1-412-395-6184 (Provider's Submitting a DBQ)
Tel:  1-800-827-1000 (VA General Contact)
Email:  IRIS
• • •
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061
Tel:  1-303-331-7590
Fax:  1-303-331-7807
Appointment of Representative: Individual VSO
• • •

• Accredited Representative •

1.  VA encourages individuals who are applying for disability compensation to work with an accredited representative or agent to assist them in completing a Fully Developed Claim for submission through eBenefits/VDC.  Being accredited means organizations and individuals must have VA permission to represent veterans before the Department in their claims for VA benefits.  The purpose of this requirement is to ensure that veterans have qualified and competent representation. These individuals receive specialized training in VA benefits law and procedure.  Also Visit:  Directory of Veterans Service Organizations

• Contact VA •

2.  The VA-preferred method of contact for inquiries by internet-using veterans residing overseas is via IRIS (instead of telephoning).  Using IRIS gives you 24/7 contact ability as well as a date-time stamp on your inquiry or submission.  For inquiries, IRIS is more reliable than Telephone, Fax, or standard Mail.  General Tel:  1-800-827-1000. Veterans Can Now Schedule Appointments Online with Smartphones (at some VA facilities, VA website has the list)

• eBenefits •

3.  eBenefits is your one-stop shop for online benefits-related tools and information.  This portal is designed for Wounded Warriors, Veterans, Service Members, their families, and their caregivers.  You're invited to explore eBenefits and become a registered user.  eBenefits provides two main services: 

1) A catalog of links to other sites that provides information about military and veteran benefits, and;

2) A personalized workspace called My eBenefits that provides quick access to eBenefits tools.  Using eBenefit tools allows users to perform numerous self-service functions.  You can Apply for Benefits, Download your DD-214, and View your Benefits Status.

• Disability Compensation •

4.  Disability compensation is a monthly benefit paid to a veteran as a result of injuries or diseases incurred or aggravated by active military service.  The compensatiuon is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care. Disability ratings range from 0 to 100 percent, payable in 10 percent increments).  Compensation is paid for disability ratings between 10 to 100 percent.  Veterans with disability ratings between 30 and 100 percent are also eligible for monthly allowances for a spouse, and for each child.  Veterans may be eligible for disability compensation if they have a service-related disability and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.  Benefits are not subject to federal or state income tax.  Veterans must first apply, and then the VA must *award disability* before a veteran can receive benefits.      

RAO Note:  The burden of pursuing a VA disability rating rests entirely on the veteran. There is no VA office or representative in Thailand.  Note:  Don’t forget to apply for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) if you believe you meet the criteria.      

Need to have a better understanding between the VA Waiver and Retired Payment adjustments? See here.  

• Presumptive - Agent Orange, Gulf War Illnesses, Other Exposures •


5.  Public Health.  VA assumes that certain *presumptive diseases* can be related to a veteran’s qualifying military service.  Visit the respective VA webpage for more information and specific criteria.

  • Compensation Claim •

6.  Before Leaving Military Service.  If you are a member of the armed forces serving on either active duty or full time National Guard or Reserve duty (Titles 10 and 32), VA encourages you to apply through its Pre-Discharge Program before leaving service. Regardless if you are still on active duty or not, we HIGHLY RECOMMED you read the following document to prepare for your disability examination. A medical doctor who is well versed these examinations provides provides expertise that maximizes your claims. Here are tips for getting the most from your VA requested disability benefits exam. How to Apply.  You may apply online via eBenefits (or submit a paper claim).  Pittsburgh is the servicing VA Regional Office for Thailand if you use APO AP 96546 or a Thai street address with the VA.  Use the claim form applicable to your filing status:

VA News Excerpt:  New Technology in Place for Electronic Submission of Veterans’ Disability Claims.  "By filing electronically, any compensation benefits that are awarded will be effective to the date the veteran starts entering their claim information in eBenefits.  From that initial claim establishment date, each veteran has up to a year to gather all necessary records and hit “submit” to preserve the original date of claim.   eBenefits allows veterans to upload digital images of records and evidence to support their claims, eliminating the need to physically mail in personal records and wait for confirmation of receipt.  VA advises veterans to gather and submit all relevant medical records and file a Fully Developed Claim (FDC) in eBenefits. This procedure, which entails entering all available evidence at the time the claim is submitted and verifying to VA that they have no more evidence to submit.  Veterans filing an FDC will receive priority processing over the traditional claims process.  VA can typically process claims in half the time required to process a traditionally filed claim. There is no risk to Veterans filing an FDC.  If VA finds evidence required but not submitted for a rating decision (like private medical records), claims processors will work to obtain that evidence on the veteran’s behalf and process the claim in the traditional way."

7.  Get Your Claim Processed Quicker!  The Fully Developed Claims (FDC) Program is the fastest way of process your claim.  Participation in the FDC Program allows for faster claims processing while preserving quality of service and your right to appeal a decision.  Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs) are central to this program.  Participation in the FDC program is strictly voluntary.  RAO Note:  Be advised, there is an out-of-pocket expense to the veteran for a *self-requested* DBQ examination (inside or outside the U.S.)--see paragraph 16 below.  Evidence Requirements.  Submit all relevant evidence and/or provide information sufficient to enable VA to obtain all relevant evidence not in your possession.  This includes the following as part of your application: 

1) Discharge or separation papers (DD-214 or equivalent);

2) Service Treatment Records if they are in your possession, and; 3) Medical evidence (doctor and hospital reports).  See the RAO webpage here about submitting evidence.12.  Disability Claim Date Before Medical Treatment.  Ensure your disability compensation claim is received by the VA on or before the date of a *self-requested* disability physical exam (or other self-requested medical treatment) for the medical condition you're claiming disability.  Reason:  The VA Foreign Medical Program (FMP) normally cannot reimburse medical treatment that occurred before a disability compensation claim was received by the VA.  FMP is further discussed on the RAO webpage.

8.  Be Your Own Advocate!  Veterans must advocate for themselves when navigating the VA system. Be very proactive with managing your claim.  It‘s vital to stay on top of personal responsibilities in the claims process, including carefully reading all VA correspondence and appropriately responding within mandated time limits.  Active duty personnel should make personal copies of military health and personnel records while still in service.  These records are the evidence needed to establish disability ratings.  Reminder:  As stated in paragraph 2a above; "Just be advised that while an accredited representative certainly can be very helpful to you, they still aren't the end-all, save-all. Ultimately, it's still your personal responsibility to educate yourself and to manage your claim."

9.  VA Deploys New Processing Model for Compensation Claims.  The new organizational model involves special handling of claims from veterans who face the most serious injuries or illnesses or experiencing financial hardships or homelessness, and therefore need immediate attention.

• Submitting Evidence •

10.  Delivery Methods.  In addition to using eBenefits, there are other reliable methods for submitting evidence to the VA, including using a combination of methods to ensure the VA does not say “we didn’t receive it” or “we didn’t receive it within the allotted time.”  Place your full Name, SSN and VA File # (if already assigned a VA File #) in the upper right hand corner of each piece of evidence you submit to the VA.  Sign your documents and send them to the VA:

  • To Accredited Representative or VA:  Fax, Certified/Express Mail, FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc.
    To VA onlyIRIS message.  Note:  IRIS is information only--attachments are not permitted.
  • Example:  Sending a Fax to your servicing VA Regional Office (VARO) works well with a follow-up message to your servicing VARO through IRIS (gives you proof of submission--print a hardcopy or PDF file).

• Veteran's *Self-Requested* Disability Exam •

11. Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs).  Veterans who *self-request* a VA disability physical examination typically ask a private licensed health care provider to complete one or more Disability Benefits Questionnaires.  We HIGHLY RECOMMED you read the following document to prepare for your disability examination. A medical doctor who has performed many of these examinations provides experience and expertise necessary to maximize benefits from your exam and claims submission. Tips for getting the most from your Veterans Administration requested disability benefits exam. "Veterans who *self-request* a disability examination (whether or not a DBQ is used) pay 100% up front (out-of-pocket) to a licensed health care provider for the exam.  However, be advised that for veterans residing outside of the U.S. (Philippines excluded) there is no reimbursement guarantee by the VA Foreign Medical Program (FMP) for a *self-requested* disability exam.  Read more:    FMP Reimbursement Is Not GuaranteedRAO Note:  Many veterans are mistakenly expecting timely FMP reimbursement for a *self-requested* disability physical exam.  For reasons explained below, FMP reimbursement for a *self-requested* disability exam will not be timely, and it is even possible the FMP claim may be denied.  A veteran's *self-use* of DBQs falls under different FMP reimbursement criteria than does a *VA-Directed* C&P Exam.  While a *VA-Directed* C&P Exam can be timely reimbursed by FMP when claims policy is met (avg. 45 business days), FMP reimbursement for a veteran's *self-requested* disability exam first depends upon whether or not disability is awarded by the VA for that medical condition.  More below:

  • VA Disability *Awarded*:  VA FMP can reimburse a veteran's *self-requested* disability examination for the medical condition the VA awarded disability--but only when FMP claims policy is met (this includes the disability compensation claim date being on or before the date of the disability exam).  Remember that when the veteran’s *self-requested* disability exam is for a medical condition not yet awarded VA disability, then FMP cannot reimburse that exam unless/until that medical condition is awarded disability, and FMP claims policy is met.  Important Note: VA Disability Compensation claim adjudication often takes months or even years depending upon claim complexity.  Veterans expecting timely FMP reimbursement for a *self-requested* disability exam may be disappointed.  (However, FMP can timely reimburse a *VA-Directed* C&P exam when FMP claims policy is met).
  • VA Disability *Denied*: VA FMP legally cannot reimburse a veteran's *self-requested* disability physical exam for the medical condition the VA denied disability (and when a disability exam date is before the date of the actual disability compensation claim. In this example, if your *self-requested* disability exam costs 20,000 Baht and your VA disability compensation claim is denied, that fee will not be reimbursed.  However, FMP can timely reimburse a *VA-Directed* C&P exam when FMP claims policy is met.

Reimbursement Recap.  A VA disability physical exam can be quite expensive.  For the reasons stated in paragraph 16a above, there is no guarantee FMP will reimburse a veteran's *self-requested* disability exam.  Veterans need to understand this possibility so they may decide whether or not to *self-request* a disability exam (such as when using the Fully Developed Claims Program), or file a disability claim via traditional process and wait for the VA to schedule a *VA-Directed* C&P Exam (which can be FMP reimbursed when policy is met).  Lastly, any issues concerning FMP claim adjudication is strictly between the veteran and FMP.  It does not involve consular staff, RAO, TRICARE, or health care provider unless additional medical/billing documentation is needed from the provider.

• Compensation and Pension (C&P) Physical Examination •

12.  Compensation and Pension (C&P) Examination.  The veteran pays for a *VA-Directed C&P Exam* up front (out-of-pocket) then submits a claim to the VA Foreign Medical Program (FMP) for payment consideration--this is clearly stated in the exam notification cover letter from U.S. Citizen Services (ACS, U.S. Embassy) and in the VA correspondence to the veteran. Further, make sure the VA has your current mailing address.  If you are moving around and you do not keep your address updated with the VA, you risk missing your C&P exam notification, and as a result, jeopardize possibly being awarded disability.  Also, in most cases, unless the veteran brings his or her pertinent service (and private) treatment records (C-file) to the C&P exam, it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for a physician to render a medical opinion as to service-connection.  Accordingly, gathering and keeping with you a copy of your pertinent records is essential.  (RAO Note: *Presumptive* medical conditions do not necessarily require your service treatment records--unless those records help to prove you have a presumptive medical condition, that you served in a specific geographic area during a specific time period, and/or you performed certain duties).        

• FMP Claim for C&P Examination •

13. In addition to meeting claims documentation, information, and timely filing requirements in the FMP Brochure and Guide (located on the FMP page), RAO staff recommends you also include with your FMP claim a copy of the VA 21-2507 (Request for Physical Examination) that directed you undergo a C&P examination.  If it is your first-ever FMP claim, also include a completed FMP Registration Claim.  Lastly, remember to always submit proof of payment, and keep a copy of all claims.

• Appeal a C&P Rating Decision •

14.  VA Pamphlet 01-15-02B, May 2015 "How Do I Appeal" contains information on filing an appeal on VA's rating decision for your disability. Filing a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) starts the VA appeals process.  A NOD is a simple letter to the VA stating you disagree with their disability compensation claim rating decision.  Some Examples:  “I respectfully disagree with the VA’s decision denying service-connection for my Spine Condition."  Or;  "I respectfully disagree with the VA’s decision awarding me 0% for my Spine Condition.  I believe the rating should be higher than 0%.”  Also required is the VA Form 21-0958 - Notice of Disagreement if you disagree with any part of your VA disability compensation claim rating decision.  Concurrently with a NOD, you may also request a *De Novo* review.  A de novo review is a new and complete review of the appealed issue with no deference given to the decision being appealed.  This review leads to a new decision, which may be a full grant, partial grant, clear and unmistakable error, or no change.  A claimant may not have more than one review under this section of the same decision.  RAO Advice:  Closely read all VA correspondence taking careful note of action required and suspense dates so as to preserve your right to appeal. It may be advisable to nominate an accredited representative to assist you in your appeal.

• Board of Veterans' Appeals •

15.  The Board of Veterans' Appeals (also known as "BVA" or "the Board") is a part of the VA, located in Washington, D.C.  Members of the Board review benefit claims determinations made by local VA offices and issue decision on appeals.  These Law Judges, attorneys experienced in veterans law and in reviewing benefit claims, are the only ones who can issue Board decisions.  Staff attorneys, also trained in veterans law, review the facts of each appeal and assist the Board members.  Anyone who is not satisfied with the results of a claim for veterans benefits (determined by a VA regional office, medical center, or other local VA office) should read the "How do I Appeal" pamphlet.  The information explains the steps involved in filing an appeal and serves as a reference for the terms and abbreviations used in the appeal process.  Also See:  Board of Veterans' Appeals Decisions Search.

• Individual Unemployability •

16.  Individual Unemployability.  Individual Unemployability is a part of VA's disability compensation program that allows VA to pay certain veterans disability compensation at the 100% rate, even though VA has not rated their service-connected disabilities at the total level.  Eligibility Requirements:

  • You must be a veteran. You must have at least one service connected disability rated at least at 60%, OR
    Two or more service connected disabilities at least one disability ratable at 40 percent or more with a combined rating of 70 percent or more.
  • You must be unable to maintain substantially gainful employment as a result of service-connected disabilities (marginal employment, such as odd jobs, is not considered substantial gainful employment for VA purposes).

      Under exceptional circumstances this benefit may be granted with a lower disability rating than noted above provided the evidence shows the service-connected disability or disabilities present such an exceptional or unusual disability picture, due to such factors as marked interference with employment or frequent periods of hospitalization, that applying the normal disability requirements is impractical.

• Add Dependents to Your Claim •

17.  Add Your Dependents to Your Claim.  If you did not include your dependents on your initial disability claim, or you have gained dependents since filing or being awarded disability, you may update your claim with your dependent information by submitting VA 21-686c - Declaration of Status of Dependents to the VA Regional Office managing your claim.  Furthermore, veterans in receipt of 30% or greater compensation benefits and who are eBenefits Premium (DS Logon level 2) account holders can apply to have new dependents added to their benefits profile via the VONAPP Direct Connect (VDC) tool on the eBenefits portal (see eBenefits FAQs).  Lastly, all non-English language dependency documents (marriage certificate, divorce decree, spouse's birth certificate, child's birth certificate, etc.) require certified English translation to be submitted with the Thai language documents.  *Legalization* (called *Authentication* in the U.S.) of Thai documents is presently not required.

• File for an Increase in Disability Rating •

18.  File for an Increase in Disability Rating.  A VA Disability Ratings Increase is for veterans who feel their service-connected medical conditions have worsened since their last rating decision.  The request or file for an increase in rating is simple. Write a letter to your servicing VA Regional Office clearly stating that you believe an increase in rating is warranted.  Indicate the percentage rating you feel is correct, indicate the reason(s) why you believe a change is warranted and then submit the evidence necessary to support your claim.  If you file for an increase in rating, be advised that requesting an increase in a disability rating carries with it a measure of risk.  Since the VA always wants to ensure that you are *correctly* rated, the inherent risk in requesting an increase in rating is that the exact opposite may happen--the VA may possibly decrease the rating.  Again, any time you request an increase in rating it brings your VA disability file under scrutiny for the reason being that your disability rating should at all times match your physical condition.  Schedule for Rating Disabilities.

• No VA Medical Facility •

19.  VA Medical Facility.  *** None in Thailand ***  Planning a visit or relocation to Thailand?  Educate yourself now, before you arrive:  Foreign Medical Program (FMP, excluding Philippines).  VA Manila Outpatient Clinic Guam  |  Hawaii  |  American Samoa.        If you require medically-necessary treatment for a VA-rated service-connected medical condition, you can either pay up front to the caregiver and file for payment consideration through the VA's FMP (see next section), or obtain care at a VA medical facility.  Also, for a visiting veteran from the U.S., Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, or the Philippines, FMP will cover emergency care for a service-connected medical condition, but normally not entertain a claim for a veteran who comes to Thailand to circumvent VA health care available to them where they reside (aka Medical Tourism).  Contact FMP directly to learn more about VA health benefits before you travel.

• VA Foreign Medical Program (FMP) •

*** VA Foreign Medical Program (FMP) ***

"VA may authorize foreign medical services for veterans only for a VA rated service-connected condition or for a condition that is associated with and aggravated by a VA rated service-connected condition.  Disability percentages have no bearing on determining eligibility for FMP medical services.  Additionally, VA may authorize necessary foreign medical services for any condition for a veteran participating in the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program (38 U.S.C. 31)."

• VA Health Administration •
• VA Foreign Medical Program •
VA Health Administration Center
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
Foreign Medical Program:  Handbook  |  Policy Manual
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061
Tel:  1-303-331-7590
Fax:  1-303-331-7807
U.S. FDA-Approved Medication (U.S. Food & Drug Admin.)
• • •
• • •

1.  Foreign Medical Program (FMP).  The VA established the Foreign Medical Program to provide health care benefits to U.S. veterans with VA-rated service-connected conditions who are residing or traveling abroad (Philippines excluded).  VA is responsible for paying for all foreign-provided, medically necessary services associated with the treatment of adjudicated, service-connected disabilities or for any condition associated with and held to be aggravating a service-connected disability.  Veterans should submit claims for the treatment of any service-connected disabilities to FMP.  (Note:  The FMP office does not issue pre-certification for foreign medical services).      

a.  RAO Note #1:  FMP will also reimburse a VA-directed C&P Physical Exam when claims policy is met.      

b.  RAO Note #2:  There is no guarantee that FMP will reimburse a veteran's *self-requested* physical exam (whether or not a Disability Benefits Questionnaire is used).  A veteran's *self-requested* disability exam is exactly that--it is *self-requested*, and not VA-directed.  Please visit the RAO's webpage here for an explanation of out-of-pocket expenses and FMP reimbursement policy pertaining to a veteran's *self-requested* disability examination.

• No Coverage in U.S. or Philippines •

2.  Does the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) authorization cover required healthcare services while the veteran is back visiting in the United States?  No.  FMP authorizations are limited to healthcare services obtained in foreign countries. Should services be required while in the United States, the veteran should contact the nearest VA health care facility.  In addition to not covering services received in the U.S., FMP authorizations do not cover services received in the Philippines.

• Pay 100% *Up Front* •

3.  100% Payment Up Front.  Normally, payment is up front (out-of-pocket) to a health care provider, thereafter file for payment consideration with FMP.  If you are a veteran residing in Thailand who has a need for long-term treatment of a service-connected medical condition, it is possible your care provider may be willing to bill FMP directly for treatment of that service-connected medical condition.  However, the decision to direct bill FMP rests solely with your care provider.  For direct billing, care providers often ask for *Guarantee Payment*.  The VA does not provide *Guarantee Payment.*  Any discussion of direct billing is between the veteran and care provider and do not involve the RAO or TRICARE.

• Reimbursement by U.S. Treasury Check •

4.  How are payments made for Foreign Medical Program (FMP) benefits?  All FMP payments are U.S. treasury checks, issued in U.S. currency.  Payments are based on the exchange rate applicable to the date service was rendered, or in the case of hospitalization, the discharge date.  (RAO Note:  For correctly completed and filed claims, plan on at least 45 business days to receive reimbursement. 

• FMP is for All *Service-Connected* Veterans •

5.  FMP is for All *Service-Connected* Veterans.  Due to misinformation posted in a local online forum, the RAO was asked if FMP is only for *disabled veterans who did not retire*?  Fact:  FMP is for retired and non-retired veterans alike who have a VA-rated service-connected disability, and who are residing or traveling abroad (Philippines excluded).  Hence, a U.S. military veteran retired for longevity or medically retired may indeed use FMP for service-connected medical condition(s), and also use TRICARE or other health insurance for non service-connected medical conditions.  In one case, a veteran retired for seven years had used TRICARE for his VA-rated service-connected medical conditions stating that he *wasn't aware* of FMP's availability.  (RAO staff suggested he file an FMP claim to try to recoup applicable unreimbursed TRICARE cost-shares for the preceding two years--under FMP's normal two-year claim filing policy).

• File an FMP Claim •

6.  In addition to meeting claims documentation and information requirements in the FMP Handbook, if it is your first-ever FMP claim, also include a completed FMP Registration Form.  While veterans may select providers of their choice, it is recommended that the selected providers have the ability to produce their medical documents and billing statements in English.  Documentation and billing statements that are submitted in a foreign language will require contracted translation services which will delay claims processing and payment.  For claim-integrity reasons, translations by anyone other than the provider or the FMP translation contractor will not be accepted.  Lastly, remember to always submit proof of payment, and keep a copy of all claims you submit7. Claims for payment or reimbursement for expenses of medical care or services must be filed no later than two years after:  1) The date the care or service was rendered, or; 2) The date of discharge (for inpatient hospitalization).  Also see paragraph 8 immediately below.  Please also visit:  Claims for Reimbursement.

• FMP *Retroactive* Claim •

7.  In the case of a retroactive VA claim of service-connection:  1) The claim must be filed within 2 years of the date the veteran was notified by VA of the allowance of a award of the service-connected disability; 2) Claims may be considered for payment for medical services received within a two years prior to the date the veteran filed an original or reopened claim which resulted in an award of service-connection, but never prior to the effective date of the award, and; 3) Payment will never be made for care received beyond this two-year period whether service connected or not.      

a.  RAO Note #1:  Before you were rated by the VA to have a service-connected medical condition(s), you likely used TRICARE or other health insurance for treatment of your medical condition(s) that the VA has now rated to be service-connected.  In this scenario, you may file a *retroactive* claim with FMP to try to recoup unreimbursed cost-shares paid to TRICARE or other health insurance.  VA correspondence will advise you how far back in time you may file a retro claim.      

b.  RAO Note #2:  When you file a retro claim, in addition to your original treatment documentation, itemized billing invoices, and proof of payment, you must include TRICARE's and/or other health insurance Explanation of Benefits (EOB) for all claims pertaining to your service-connected medical conditions for which you are now filing a retro claim.  If you do not submit an EOB(s) FMP may be unable to process your claim--FMP and TRICARE cross-queue to prevent fraudulent "double-dipping."  If you previously did not use TRICARE (or other health insurance) you may of course file an FMP claim for payment consideration for the unreimbursed amount you paid, and may receive a request for additional information.

• Prescription Medication •

8.  Prescription MedicationFMP does not offer a pharmacy mailout program -- *** REPEAT *** -- FMP does NOT mail medication outside of the U.S., even to an APO, FPO, or DPO address (Outpatient Prescriptions).  Moreover, FMP does not reimburse for non-U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) approved medication, nor for vitamins, therefore, Physicians should only prescribe medication that is legally available within the veteran's country of residence and are accepted by the VA and U.S. FDA.  By federal law, FMP cannot pay for prescription medication that is not U.S. FDA approved. Thus, always ask your care provider to prescribe U.S. FDA-approved medication.     

• Survivor Benefits •

• Department of Defense (DoD) •
• Other U.S. Gov't Agencies •
Casualty Assistance: DoD |  USA  | USAF  |  USMC  |  USN  |  USCG

•Death of a U.S. Citizen •

1.  Death of a U.S. Citizen.  U.S. Citizen Services (ACS) (U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate General) is designated to assist family and friends in the event of the death of an American Citizen in Thailand.

 The RAO advises that you plan carefully for funeral arrangements.  Local authorities have been known to hold bodies for long periods of time.  While the RAO does not endorse private businesses, we welcome reports of international repatriation services in Thailand.

     • Survivor Assistance •

2.  Survivor Assistance.  Please see these links Survivor Assistance  What My Family Should Know,  Casualty Assistance Worksheet.  These sources detail typical benefits and typically required information.  Numerous documents will need to be assembled.  Please include a cover letter detailing your marital history, insurance, and finances.    A cover letter helps remove ambiguity and quite possibly helps explain information that is needed to support applications for benefits.  Lastly, all Thai language documents require certified English translation.  Thai language and certified English translation documents are submitted together. Legalization of Thai documents is no longer required to apply for U.S. benefits.  But, Legalization of Thai documents is an option when applying for an ITIN).
  • Do you have a Last Will & Testament?  Do your executor and heirs know where your will is?    Wills are used for asset disposition and provide specific instructions as to guardianship for your minor children and detail funeral arrangements. A Will that covers assets and wishes in the U.S. and Thailand is recommended to be notarized by international notary since individual U.S. states may possibly not legally recognize a will notarized solely by Thai notary seal / stamp.   Contact your state to learn its legal requirements, and/or check your local area for international notary availability.

  • Does your last will and testament or Letter of Instruction specify disposition of your remains--such as cremation?
  • Does your last will and testament or Letter of Instruction specify a family member or friend that is going to repatriate your remains, if repatriation is your wish?
  • Do you have next-of-kin or an emergency contact person in the U.S.
  • Who in Thailand has that information?If any previous marriages, what is the Name, Date of Birth, and SSN of your former spouse(s)Date and Location of Marriage
  • Date and location of divorce or death
  • Thai spouse should have an original or certified birth certificate issued by the Amphur or a proof of birth documents from census registration showing date of birth.  Census Registration Telephone:  02-281-5000
  • Who is going to prepare your taxes for year of death, and any prior tax years?  (Hint:  Not the RAO or JUSMAG).
  • Is your spouse able to speak sufficient English so as to be able to help themself?

a.  Certified copies of your DD-214 (s) (or earlier equivalent) are at the core of your survivors receiving U.S. Federal benefits in a timely manner--NOW is the time to request your DD-214s!  For example:  It sometimes takes over 90 days to receive certified DD-214s from the National Personnel Records Center (or other source as specified on page 3 of Standard Form 180).  Also, ALL Divorce Decrees for both sponsor and spouse are needed--collect them NOW.  Vital Records (ease of obtaining divorce decrees from the U.S. varies by State/Territory).  The same applies to current Marriage and Birth Certificates (for survivors) (Thai Amphurs). 

b.  Once all required documents are submitted, plan to start receiving eligible benefits in approximately:  SBP:  3 Months.  SSA:  3 Months.  VA Survivors Pension:  9-12 Months.  VA DIC:  One Year+.   If your DD-214(s) must first be ordered from the NPRC (or branch of service), add an additional 3 months to your financial reserves.  A similar time delay applies when having to order a divorce decree(s).  Not having original or certified DD-214s, Divorce Decree(s) (for sponsor and spouse), and Thai spouses' Birth Certificate, are the top delays to benefits receipt.

• Marriage •

3.  Marriage.  For VA SP or DIC, a marriage must have been over one year; or widow with a child by the veteran; or be pregnant by the veteran. Source:  A survivor’s marriage to the sponsor must be valid. While some U.S. states and some other countries legally recognize a de facto marriage as a valid marriage, the principle of a common law or de facto marriage is NOT recognized under Thai law: (Sections 1457 & 1458).

• Defense Finance & Accounting Service • DFAS Retiree Newsletter

• Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS) •
Defense Finance & Accounting Service
U.S. Military Annuitant Pay

8899 E 56th Street

Indianapolis IN 46249-1200

Tel:  1-800-321-1080 or 1-216-522-5955
Fax:  1-800-469-6559
Email:  Ask DFAS
• • •

1.  DFAS - Arrears of Pay (AOP).  Arrears of Pay is a one-time payment made to a beneficiary after your death.  The AOP payment to your beneficiary will include:  1) The pro-rated amount of your final month’s pay, and; 2) Any other money owed to you at the time of your death.  In most cases, Arrears of Pay will include the pro-rated amount of your final month's retirement pay.  This stipulation is because your entitlement to retirement pay ends on the date of your death.  When your death is reported, DFAS will reclaim your final month's pay and audit your account.  The amount of the payment actually owed will then be computed and given to your AOP beneficiary.  DFAS will also contact this person for help with closing your account.

2.  DFAS - Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP).  Thai Citizens not taxed (Thai-U.S. Tax Treaty).  U.S. Citizens are taxed.  SBP was created by Congress in 1972 (began September 21, 1972) to put an end to the category of destitute survivors.  SBP provides a monthly annuity of 55 percent of the annuity base amount, cost-of-living adjusted, to the eligible spouse or children.  The monthly annuity with an insurable interest is 55 percent of the amount of the gross retired pay after cost of participation is subtracted.  SBP is designed to protect your survivors against the risks of:  Your early death, survivor outliving benefits and inflation.  SBP is offset / reduced by VA DIC (paragraph 11 below) up to SBP's full amount.

• SBP Policy & Forms •
SBP Forms (DFAS)
  Premiums (Ch. 45) / DoD 7000.14R, Vol. 7B (Ch. 42-54)
Re-Starting SBP (Remarriage, (DoD)
Survivor Benefit Plan: DFAS  |  USAF Retiree Services
SBP (Other):  DoD  |  USA  | USMC  |  USN  |  USCG
SBP & VA Benefits (Part IV, Ch. 26, para. 26.24)

a.  Frequently Asked Question"I wasn't married when I retired, so I did not make an election under SBP.  If I get married after retirement, may I elect coverage for my spouse under SBP?"  In this scenario, you may elect SBP coverage for the first spouse you marry after retirement.  However, you must elect the coverage before the first anniversary of your marriage. Send a letter to DFAS (or use DD Form 2656-6) requesting SBP coverage for your spouse, and provide your Spouse's Name, Social Security Number, Date of Birth and a copy of the Marriage Certificate.

b.  When a member retires the account is calculated per the laws in effect on how to establish the account.  Information may be found in DoD 7000.14-R, Vol 7B (Chapter 49) regarding how premiums were calculated prior to March 1986, and afterwards.  At retirement, full basic SBP for spouse and children takes effect automatically if you make no other valid election.  Furthermore, you may not reduce or decline spouse coverage without your spouse's written consent.  You may choose coverage for a former spouse or, if you have no spouse or children, you may be able to cover an "insurable interest" (e.g., a business partner or parent).  If you elect SBP you'll be required to pay a monthly premium.       

  c.  SBP Premiums (Chapter 45) and benefits are based on the "Annuity Base Amount" or benefit level that you elect. Your base amount can be any amount between $300 per month and full retired pay.  For those who opt for full coverage, the Annuity Base Amount is a figure that is slightly higher than Gross Pay.  Further, SBP premiums are not based on 'disposable' income--in other words it is not based on the member's pay after deductions.  For example, the 'VA Waiver' is simply a deduction from pay required based on other laws.  This happens after the member has already retired and has had the account and SBP costs established.  Information may be found in DoD 7000.14-R, Vol 7B (Chapter 12) concerning waivers of retired pay.        

d.  Refund of SBP Costs (if Surviving Spouse receiving DIC, paragraph 11 below):  A refund is paid to your surviving spouse for the costs deducted for that part of the SBP benefit not received due to DIC being paid.  If the DIC payment offsets the entire SBP payment, all costs will be refunded.  These refunds are taxed as income to the survivor since they were not taxed when deducted from retired pay. 

(Note:  Refunds are not made for:  1) Added costs associated with 1992-93 Open Season enrollments/changes, or; 2) Enrollment costs associated with 1999-2000 Open Season elections).  Information may be found in DoD 7000.14-R, Vol 7B (Chapter 46) concerning premium refund due to DIC award.        

• Department of Veterans Affairs •

• Department of Veterans Affairs •
Survivor Benefits:  Homes  |  Eligible Wartime Periods
Valid Marriage:  VA Marriage  |  Thai Civil Code (1457-1458)
Appointment of Representative: Individual |  VSO
Authorization to Disclose Information:  VA 21-0845
• • •
            • • •
• VA Regional Office - Pittsburgh •
Tel:  1-412-395-6272
Veterans Affairs Regional Office
Fax:  1-412-395-6091
ATTN:  Foreign Team, Room 1514
Tel:  1-800-827-1000 (VA General Contact)
1000 Liberty Ave.
Email: IRIS
Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4004

1.  VA - Arrears of Pay (AOP).  Officially known as *Accrued Benefits Due a Deceased Beneficiary*.  Accrued benefits are benefits that were due the beneficiary at the time of death but not paid prior to death.  Entitlement to accrued benefits is determined according to the line of succession established by law.

2. VA Survivors Pension (SP).  (Formerly known as *Death Pension*).  Not Taxed.  Based on need.  Offset/reduced by Social Security (scroll down to *Survivors Pension*). Survivors Pension is a needs-based benefit paid to an eligible un-remarried surviving spouse, or an unmarried child of a deceased wartime veteran.  There are a number of criteria that may affect eligibility to receive pension benefits.  VA pays the difference between 'countable income' and an annual rate of payment established by Congress (Survivors Pension Calculation).  Please also see *SBP* (paragraph 5 above) if you have already elected, or are thinking about electing SBP.  SBP & VA Benefits (Death Pension & DIC, VBA M21-1, Part IV, Ch. 26, para. 26.24, p. 26-IV-4).

3. VA Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC) Not Taxed.  Not offset by another benefit, but DIC does offset/reduce SBP dollar-for-dollar.  DIC is a monthly benefit paid to eligible survivors of a military service member who died under any of the following circumstances: while on active duty; active duty for training,; inactive duty training;  a veteran whose death resulted from a service-related injury or disease; 
The benefits also apply to a veteran:  whose death resulted from a non- service-related injury or disease, and who was receiving, or was entitled to receive, VA compensation for service-connected disability that was rated as totally disabling for at least 10 years immediately before death;   released from active duty and for at least five years immediately preceding death;  at least one year before death if the veteran was a former prisoner of war who died after September 30, 1999. Please also see *SBP* (paragraph 5 above) if you've already elected, or are thinking about electing SBP.  SBP & VA Benefits (Death Pension & DIC, VBA M21-1, Part IV, Ch. 26, para. 26.24, p. 26-IV-4).

• Pay Suspension •

4. Surviving family member beneficiaries who experience pay suspension with DFAS, OPM, SSA, or VA benefits should respectively contact Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS)OPM, SSA Manila, the VA Pension Management Center (PMC) directly.  For for SSA and VA pay issues, beneficiaries may visit U.S. Citizen Services (ACS) (U.S. Embassy  |  U.S. Consulate General) for assistance. The  ACS does not assist with DFAS issues.  Note that the RAO's prime focus is assisting U.S. military retirees residing in Thailand followed by providing survivor assistance to their eligible survivors.  It does not assist with typical VA or SSA pay suspension issues for surviving family members.  English-speaking beneficiaries can most efficiently address issues by directly contacting the relevant agency.

• Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS) •
Defense Finance & Accounting Service
Tel:  1-800-321-1080 or 1-216-522-5955
Cleveland Center
Fax:  1-216-522-5898
P.O. Box 998005
Email:  Ask DFAS
Cleveland, OH 44199-1126
• • •

• Office of Personnel Management •
Office of Personnel Management
Tel:  1-888-767-6738
Retirement Operations Center
Fax:  N/A
P.O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017
• • •

• Social Security Administration - Manila •
Social Security Administration
Tel:  +63-2-301-2000 Ext. 9
United States Embassy
Fax:  +63-2-708-9723
1201 Roxas Blvd.
Manila, Philippines 1000
• • •

• VA Pension Management Center - Philadelphia •
Philadelphia VAROIC
Tel:  1-877-294-6380
Pension Management Center
Fax:  1-215-381-3113
5000 Wissahickon Ave.
Fax:  1-215-381-3777 (Only for VA 21-0845)
P.O. Box 8079
Email:  IRIS
Philadelphia, PA 19101
• • •

•Direct Deposit •

• General Information •

1.  Direct Deposit.  People applying for Social Security, veterans' benefits, or other federal benefits on or after May 1, 2011, will receive their payments electronically starting with their first payment. With Direct Deposit, the U.S. Treasury will deposit the money directly into your bank account every month; Moreover, to assure the direct deposit convenience, always update your address with the U.S. Government agency that issues your monthly check. Here is the Direct Deposit Sign Up Form 

• Bangkok Bank •

2.  Direct Deposit in Thailand. Bangkok Bank is presently the only U.S. Government-authorized provider of Direct Deposit services in Thailand for persons who receive U.S. Federal benefits from the following agencies:  DFAS, OPM, SSA, and VA. Funds first go to the New York Branch and are then transferred to Bangkok. 

a.  Basic Facts.  A Bangkok Bank *Direct Deposit* account is strictly a savings account and with *only a single name permitted on the account*--no joint accounts, no online banking, no ATM Card, and no checks.  Due to Bangkok Bank's fraud prevention policy, you must appear in-person each month to withdraw your funds.  On the upside, with Bangkok Bank's Direct Deposit Service, funds are converted into Thai Baht at the higher, more favorable Telegraphic Transfer (T/T) exchange rate in Thailand (as compared to using a foreign (U.S.) ATM card in Thailand--180 Baht per transaction and funds are converted into Thai Baht at the lower exchange rate for ATM transactions).  Lastly, if you already have, or sign up for, a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account, you may also transfer funds--in-person--from your direct deposit account into another Bangkok Bank savings account which offers internet banking and ATM card.       

b.  Online Funds Transfer from a U.S. Bank to Bangkok Bank.  If you are using direct deposit to a U.S. Bank and are also using the internet banking service of  a  U.S. bank, you may transfer funds from your U.S. bank account by using domestic interbank menu to any Bangkok Bank account by stipulating the 9-digit routing number for Bangkok Bank’s New York branch (026008691) in your transfer instruction.  Funds will be transferred via the U.S. ACH system directly to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, for a lower fee than most other international wire transfer services.  This method employs the same fee structure as Bangkok Bank’s direct deposit service.  Fees are subject to change without prior notice. Contact Bangkok Bank directly for terms and conditions.  If choosing to sign up for Direct Deposit Service with Bangkok Bank, visit your local Bangkok Bank branch to do so.  Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit, Telephone:  02-230-1323.         

• RAO Comment:  Married persons who are each receiving one or more monthly annuities must establish separate Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit accounts from each other, but individually you may have more than one annuity deposited into a single direct deposit account (e.g., DFAS, OPM, SSA, VA, etc.).  As well, single persons may have more than one monthly annuity deposited into a single direct deposit account.  Your local area Bangkok Bank branch establishes your direct deposit account (when you've met all their requirements) and prepares the SF-1199a Direct Deposit Sign Up form and submits it to the relevant agency (DFAS, OPM, SSA, VA, etc.).  When signing up for a Bangkok Bank direct deposit account, bring your passport and the award letter and/or annuity statement proving your eligibility to be receiving that monthly annuity.  Bangkok Bank may request additional information depending upon case specifics.

• Individual Income Tax •

1.  Do I still have to file a U.S. Individual Income Tax Return if I live in Thailand?   Leaving the country does not exempt U.S. citizens from their U.S. tax obligations.  While some retirees may not owe any U.S. income tax while they are living abroad, U.S. citizens are normally required to file a U.S. tax return each year, provided they have earned a minimum income, an amount that varies with income, marital status, and age.  This is the case even if you move all of your assets to a foreign country--you may still be taxed on income regardless of where it is earned.  As always, your unique financial situation dictates whether or not you actually need to file a tax return.  For specific information, please see IRS Publications 54 & 17, and/or consult a U.S. tax professional.  Also Visit:  Foreign Financial Account and Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.      

a.  Retirees abroad must also fulfill any tax obligations of their foreign country of residence.  The United States has tax treaties with a number of countries that address double taxation, but these treaties generally do not exempt residents from the obligation to file a return.  Retirees who acquire any assets abroad should also consider the need to modify estate plans, since those assets may be subject to local estate tax rules.  Insurance is another factor to consider with assets acquired overseas.  Most U.S. umbrella liability policies do not cover international assets.  For more information, please review the IRS’s tax information for U.S. Citizens & Resident Aliens Abroad.     

b.  Basic annual Income Tax preparation can easily be completed by pen and paper, online at sites such as HnR Block, Turbo Tax and others, or by purchasing tax preparation software.  Of course, you may also contact a brick-and-mortar tax preparation service if you do not feel comfortable using an online service, or do not wish to prepare it yourself.  ACS (U.S. Embassy):  Taxes + Tax Preparers.

• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) •

• RAO Webmaster's Note:  There are various reasons why an ITIN may be needed.  For purposes of the ITIN discussion here, the reason is for:  "A nonresident alien individual not eligible for an SSN who elects to file a joint U.S. tax return with a spouse who is a U.S. citizen or resident alien." Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) With the exception of unique situations, the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) normally will not issue a Social Security Number to a non-resident alien spouse residing in Thailand.  Thus, presuming a non-resident alien spouse is ineligible to be issued a U.S. Social Security Number, in order to file a joint U.S. Federal Income Tax Return, a non-resident alien spouse must apply for an ITIN and enter it in the block for the Social Security Number on the applicable variant of IRS Form 1040 being used.  Further, the IRS will normally delay processing an ITIN application until a tax return is filed (unless the ITIN is needed for another reason).  (Note:  An ITIN is issued by the IRS, not by SSA).  When possible (and of course, when required), send authorized *copies* of documents to the IRS in lieu of sending *originals*.  (RAO Note:  Even though sending original Thai documents to the IRS is an authorized option (the IRS returns originals to the applicant), the applicant doubles the risk of losing an original document in the mail. General ITIN Info & How to Apply.  Once the ITIN applicant has assembled the documentation required by the IRS to prove *foreign status* and *identity*, a Thai applicant has three choices for document submission: 

1) Send *originals* to the IRS (the IRS will return originals); 2) Submit a *certified* (legalized) copy of their Thai documentation that was *Legalized* by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or;

3) Make an appointment and visit U.S. Citizen Services (ACS) (U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulate General) to have their Thai documentation *notarized* (embossed seal).  Previously, *Legalization* and *Notarization* were both required by the IRS, but now it is either-or (or send originals).  The ACS fee for notarization is $50 per document.  If you choose the ACS *Notarization* option, ACS will attach to IRS Form W-7 the notarized copy(ies) of your Thai documentation.  Lastly, neither ACS nor RAO track the Thai MFA legalization fee.  Contact the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to learn more about Legalization.

• SSA & Green Card Holders •

2.  Lawful Permanent Residents (Green Card holders).  (see page 5 of the linked IRS Pub 915) For U.S. income tax purposes, lawful permanent residents (green card holders) are considered resident aliens until their lawful permanent resident status under the immigration laws is either removed or is administratively or judicially determined to have been abandoned.  Social security (SSA) benefits paid to a green card holder are not subject to 30% withholding.  If you are a green card holder and tax was withheld in error on your SSA benefits because you have a foreign address, the withholding tax is refundable by SSA or the IRS.

• Absentee Voting •

Federal Voting Assistance Program Voting is a constitutional right that American citizens eighteen years and older can freely exercise.  The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) covers all active-duty members of the Uniformed Services and their families, members of the merchant marine and their families, and U.S. citizens who reside overseas, and assists them in exercising voting.  Elections are managed individually by all 55 states and territories; consequently there are 55 sets of rules for absentee voting by UOCAVA citizens.  The website provides UOCAVA citizens with the state-specific information registration and franchise information. 

The nearest Space-A aerial port is Singapore Passenger Terminal (RSAF Paya Lebar AB) and Clark PI. For Clark Space-A schedule visit here . BE AWARE THERE IS A CURRENT PROHIBITION ON FLYING OUT FROM CLARK ON SPACE-A DUE TO BASE RESTRICTIONS, THE LINK CONTAIBNS MORE INFO. When traveling Space-A be prepared to fly commercial if problems arise.  

Yokota Air Base.  Yokota Air Base, Japan is the primary Space A link to  RSAF Paya Labar.  All flights to and from Paya Labar come through Yokota Air Base.  Please click here for more information on Yokota.  Please note you must have a Facebook account to access this link. Other information will be published via this website when available. 

• Traveling to Thailand •

a.  Planning.  To begin, TripAdvisor and Lonely Planet (unofficial) is a well-known, usually reliable global Trip Planning and Travel Review site. The following internet links address some of the more commonly asked Thailand-specific questions:  Airports of Thailand  | State Railway of Thailand  | Provincial Buses (Unofficial).  Also, the local Expat Forum (unofficial) is a closely-moderated, no-cost resource across a wide range of topics.  Regarding provincial transportation, another usually safe and reliable means is the widely available car/mini-van service--contact your hotel for information on their service (usually a little more expensive) or local availability.  While it is also possible to hire a street taxi for the day, doing so invites a certain measure of risk.  Lastly, as in any culture, Thailand has its share of cultural taboos.  The largest legal prohibition is disparaging the Thai monarchy (aka Lese Majeste).       

b.  English is not widely spoken outside of typical tourist locations, and even in tourist locations it's often hit and miss, especially with local bus operators, songtaews (covered pick-up truck; Baht Bus) and State Railway staff (to name a few). Visitors should speak English slowly and clearly, and use simple words to convey your message.  Further, if a taxi or tuk-tuk driver, or "tout" tells you, "Today Palace closed special ceremony, I take you go ______", or "today is a Buddha holiday and you are not dressed properly, I will take you to a tailor," don't fall for it! They're paid top do to this.

C. Local Police:  Emergency Dial 191, Tourist Police:  Dial 1155 (specialized in Tourist assistance)

• Medical Care •

Medical Care.  Medical treatment is generally adequate in Thailand’s urban areas.  In Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Pattaya, good facilities exist for routine, long-term, and emergency health care.  Basic medical care is available in rural areas, but English-speaking providers are rare.  ACS Bangkok:  Medical Emergencies.       

a.  "What medical benefits are available to me?"  Short Answer:  DEPENDS.  Generally speaking, 100% payment is required up front for medical treatment received in Thailand regardless if eligible beneficiaries are insured. Use TRICARE (also see TRICARE - JUSMAGTHAI) or the VA Foreign Medical Program (only for service-connected medical conditions). There is no Military Treatment Facility or VA Medical Facility in Thailand.  

b.  Healthcare tops the list of concerns for many U.S. citizens who are considering moving abroad.  Obtaining medical treatment and hospital care abroad can be expensive, and medical evacuation to the U.S. can cost more than $50,000.  Note that U.S. medical insurance is generally not accepted outside the United States, nor do the Social Security Medicare and Medicaid programs provide coverage for hospital or medical costs outside the U.S.  In many places in Thailand, doctors and hospitals still expect payment in cash at the time of service.  Your regular U.S. health insurance may not cover doctors’ and hospital visits in other countries.       

c.  You cannot assume your insurance will go with you when you travel or relocate outside the U.S.  It is very important to find out BEFORE you leave if you will have medical insurance overseas.  You need to ask your insurance company (or benefits agency) two questions:  1) "Does my policy apply when I’m out of the U.S.?" 2) "Will it cover emergencies like a trip to a foreign hospital or an evacuation?"  If your policy does not go with you when you travel, a very good idea is to obtain coverage for your trip.

• Automated Teller Machines (ATM) •

ATMs.  Plentiful.  Thai Banks currently charge a transaction fee of typically 220 Baht when using a foreign bank ATM Card.  The 200 Baht transaction fee is in addition to any fees imposed by your bank. Some banks (Charles Schwab, Capital One ((some of their accounts))) will reimburse your foreign ATM fees and foreign conversion fee (typically 3% of the exchange)

• U.S. State Department •

• U.S. Embassy •

* We highly recommend you visit the U.S. Embassy Website, Citizens Sevices, because not only do they list their services, but under the heading Resources on that page, they list What Embassy's Can and Cannot Do.

• Register with the U.S. Embassy •

1.  U.S. Embassy (change language to English from pull down upper right hand corner) urges all U.S. citizens, even those visiting Thailand for a short time, to Register with the Embassy’s Consular Section.  Being that online registration requires a nine-digit Passport #, if you have an older seven-digit # that begins with an alpha character, do not enter the alpha character but do enter two "zeroes" before your seven-digit #.  In the event of an emergency, the Embassy will provide information and other critical assistance to U.S. citizens.  Registration is the only way to guarantee that the Embassy is aware of your presence in the country and is able to contact you and assist you in such circumstances.  Registering also provides delivery straight to your email inbox Emergency Messages & Announcements.  Registration is fast and easy and is highly recommended.

• Consular Services and Visa Info •

2.  You must have an appointment for non-emergency services.  Appointments must be made on-line by using the ACS Appointment System website.  U.S. citizens who come to the Embassy or Consulate for non-emergency services, but who do not have an appointment, will not be able to receive non-emergency services, such as routine passport applications and renewals, additional visa pages, notary or report of birth services at that time.

3.   Consular Outreach.  Outreach dates are posted here.  Email ACS:  |  Telephone ACS:  02-205-4049.

4. Travelers entering Thailand for purposes other than tourism need a visa.

5. You may want to visit the Department of State travel website. In addition to general information for travelers, it allows for searches by destination. There is a lengthy section on Thailand, which includes this paragraph:

If you are a U.S. citizen tourist staying in Thailand for fewer than 30 days, you do not require a visa to enter the country, but your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your entry into Thailand. Thai Immigration officials may ask for your onward/return ticket, and airlines may ask for this information when you book or check in.  If you are a tourist entering Thailand by air or land without a visa, you are allowed to stay in Thailand for 30 days per visit

.6. Similar information is available from on the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website

7. Passport holders from 48 countries, including the USA, are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit. If such foreigners enter the Kingdom at the immigration checkpoints which border neighboring countries, they will be allowed to stay for 15 days each time (they enter). Thai MFA Chart: If you plan to stay in Thailand for longer than 30 days per visit or if your travel is for reasons other than tourism, please contact a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate for information about applying for the appropriate Thai visa. Thai visa categories are explained here:

Consular Office
2300 Kalorama Rd. N.W.
Washington, DC 20008
Phone: 202-459-9536

Royal Thai Consulates-GeneralNew York
351East 52nd Street,
New York, NY 10022
Phone: 212-754-1770 (Consular Section)ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/visa/o-a-visas/

Los Angeles
611 N. Larchmont Blvd., 2nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Phone: 323-962-9574

700 North Rush Street
Chicago, IL 60611-2504
Phone: 312-664-3129

Tourist Visa Exemption: U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for the purpose of tourism and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of 30 days per visit. Foreigners who enter the Kingdom under the Tourist Visa Exemption category may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay not to exceed 90 days within 6 months of the date of first entry. Passports must be valid for at least 6 months.Six-month, multiple-entry tourist visas (METV) may be obtained in advance at a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate. Holders of this type of visa may not be gainfully employed in Thailand.

NON-IMMIGRANT VISAS. Upon entry with a non-immigrant visa, the immigration officer at the entry point will grant a 90-day stay. This is the initial duration of stay for this type of visa. For an extension of stay beyond 90 days, travelers may submit an application at an Immigration Bureau.A non-immigrant visa is the only type of visa that permits non-residents to be gainfully employed in Thailand. Visa application forms for this category must state reasons for employment and include a letter of certificate from the company employing the applicant. Non-immigrant visa holders who wish to be gainfully employed must also apply fora work permit. Visas may be issued in the form of a sticker or stamp in the applicant's passport. It will include type, class, issue date and expiry date.

Non-immigrant Visa-M:  For the purposes of work as a film-producer, journalist or reporter

Non-immigrant Visa-B:  For the purposes of attending a conference, conducting business, or working in Thailand (includes teaching)

Non-immigrant Visa-ED:  For the purposes of studying, work study tours, observation tours, participating in projects or seminars, attending training courses, or studying to be a foreign Buddhist monk in Thailand

Non-immigrant Visa-O-A: For applicants ages 50+ who wish to go to Thailand for a “long stay” period of 1 year (not allowed to work in Thailand)

Non-immigrant Visa-O: For other purposes, visiting family in Thailand, pension, etc. (including volunteering)

• Some Things We Cannot Do •

1.  The following referenced topics are outside of the charter and scope of the RAO, or violate established directives or federal law.

2.  Loan or Gift Money.  The RAO is not an aid organization. Limited emergency assistance is available through the U.S. State Department, U.S. Citizen Services.

3.  Promote Private Businesses.  The RAO doesn't promote, support, or endorse any specific private businesses.

4.  Political Issues.  RAO staff members acting in an official capacity are not authorized to contact elected officials.

5.  Retiree Mail & APO Mail Boxes.  RAO personnel are not authorized to retrieve or open mail from retiree mail boxes.

6.  Copier Service & Office Supplies.   The copier is for RAO official use only.  There are numerous printing and office supply stores in Thailand.

7.  Employment Listings.  The RAO does not track expat employment opportunities nor do we participate in networking.  U.S. Federal Jobs:  FedsHireVets  |  OPM  |  USAJobs  | VA Jobs.

8. The RAO does not possess unit historical information although the local VFW 9951 has a historian. Concerning service treatment records during the Vietnam War period, hospitals in Thailand destroyed medical records five years after a patient's last visit due to the lack of available storage facilities for the immense volume of records created.

9.  Your Income Taxes.  We don't order or print tax materials, nor do your income taxes.  For IRS info, please start here.

10.  Consular Appointments and Outreach Schedule.  Links to U.S. State Department info is on this page.

11.   Intercountry adoption is governed by both the laws of the country in which the child lives and the country in which the adoptive parents live.  

12. We cannot receover nor assist in the recovery of you DoD or other passwords, nor can reset accounts.

13.  The RAO regularly receives requests for information concerning Thai Immigration policy, but we decline to answer specific questions.  The U.S. Embassy (Bangkok) provides some information on Thai Visas for Americans.         

• RAO Comment:  The RAO recommends you direct your questions to the specific Thai immigration office, embassy, or consulate having jurisdiction over your case or geographic area.